From the days of #Selfie to Something Just Like This, The Chainsmokers have been dominating charts worldwide and winning the hearts of many.
To celebrate the release of their (long awaited) debut album Memories… Do Not Open, we had a chat with the guys about their music, each other and of course if they were going to tour Asia.
Drew and Alex also left a very special message at the end, enjoy!
1. What is your favorite song on 'Memories...Do Not Open’? Why?
Oh man we can’t possibly pick a favorite! We literally change our opinion on it every day. A couple of our favorites though are Honest, Bloodstream, My Type and Last Day Alive! Each of these songs either have a really important message, touch on an experience that’s important to us or just feels like a really exciting new direction with our production.
2. Tell us an interesting event that happened during the making of 'Memories...Do Not Open’.
When Drew went to the lunch we recorded the sound of a shit and put it in the song and wanted to see if he noticed, he did and it was really funny, then we started messing with the sound design and it ended up sounding like a really good snare so we actually kept it in it. Not gonna say which song.
3. How did the collaboration for ‘Something Just Like This’ come about?
We had heard that they listened to our music before their shows sometimes and we reached out asking if they might ever want to get together, and we got lucky because they were. They were extremely easy to work with, and we don’t mean like complacent, they are so involved and care so much about the music which made it even more fun. We never made a song the same way this one came together. We were in the studio and we found some chirds we all liked and next thing you know Chris jumps up and starts free styling, a few hours later he had written the verses!
4. What is your favorite collaboration to date? Why?
People always ask us that and we aren’t going to ever say, each one has been so amazing and taught us so much… our favorite person ever though is Emily warren who we have collaborated on a number of songs with!
5. What is the best part of doing what do you? Writing music or performing live?
Honestly, it would suck to do just one exclusively.. We write music and we love it but then we want to see people react to it, then we see people react to it and we get inspired and want to write more music.
6. Could you share with us one musician that you've listened to as a child that has heavily influenced your current style?
Easy, Blink 182!!!
7. If you could choose a theme song to reflect your lives, what would it be and why?
Hahaha it would have to be the James Bond theme, it doesn’t make any sense we just love it and would make us look really badass!
8. How would you describe each other in 3 words?
Drew - Focused, Ambitious, Loyal
Alex - Goofy, Organized, Ambitious
9. Who is the first one to forgive the other when there is a conflict among yourselves?
We really don’t fight like that but we are pretty stubborn when we do and then we just get over it super fast.
10. If you could add any other artist to The Chainsmokers, who and why?
It would be sick to merge with 21 pilots!
11. Now that we know what the best part of doing what you do is, what would you say is the most difficult part of being The Chainsmokers?
Just being away from our families, we are sort of workaholics and become consumed by our work and sometimes we lose sight of that… it’s a good problem…
12. We definitely have to ask this one, any plans to tour Asia?
YES some big ones, we cant say much more than that yet
13. Lastly, what message would you like to give to your Singaporean fans?
Singapore we love you guys so much, even though its been a while since we have been able to visit you always support us so much and we love you for that and we promise to make it up to you when I get back!
Picture Credits: Billboard, iHeartRadio