1. What are the differences between playing classical pieces and playing contemporary pop pieces on the cello?
Well, in rock and pop pieces we have to create sound of a whole band on two cellos only so we are using lots of advanced technique that is not common in classical music. Also we can go completely nuts in rock music and play with a lot more adrenaline and energy!
2. How do try to inject your own essence to the song while trying to maintain its original feel and standard?
We try to catch overall mood, main message and emotion of the song and try to deliver it to the people through the cello and create special atmosphere according to the song.
3. How did you choose the songs to be recorded on your first album?
As soon as we hear the song we can tell if is gonna suit on cello or not. We make an arrangement only if we are convinced that we are gonna do justice to the song or even beat the original. All the song on our album are the songs we love, and they are all evergreens with beautiful melodies so they fit on cello very well!
4. How has your lives changed ever since you struck gold with the record deal?
Our life completely changed after posting our version of Smooth Criminal on YouTube. The video went viral, and offers were coming like crazy, from all the major labels, biggest TV shows and even Sir Elton John called personally on the phone! Since then we didn't have one minute of rest!
5. What is the one thing that you miss most fr om your time before all the touring?
Well, we miss to be at home, our country is very beautiful, beautiful whether and nature, and seaside which we miss the most. All our family and friends are there and we don't get a chance to see them that often anymore.
6. What has been the biggest lesson that you've learnt while being on tour with Elton John, who is such a legend?
Older he is, better he gets, and every show he does he puts his maximum and does his best, and that is so great and wonderful about him. He never lets his audience down, he loves them and wants to give them his best and this is what inspired us to be better and better.
7. I know you guys love to cover rock songs, but are there any songs from a different genre that you would love to play?
Sure, cello possibilities are endless and there is so much you can do with it! We would like to do some film music one day, some areas from operas and even some folk music.
8. Given the choice to learn a new instrument, what would it be and why?
Definitely cello! It has such a warm, beautiful sound, closest to the human voice. It is also the most universal instrument, it can play high as violin, low as double bass, it can play the most touching slow melodies, it can be virtuosic, it can sound like a guitar, it has percussive qualities and it can rock hard!
9. You have accomplished so much within a short period of time. Now what else would you like to achieve in the future?
To make kids stop listening this rubbish music that is popular nowadays and listen to the great songs from the past and educate them about cello and great music in general!
For more information on 2cellos, do visit their official website