2. You work with quite a few people on the new album, how did the collaboration with Natasha Bedingfield come about on the new single ‘Jet Lag’?
We love what Natasha had done in the past, she’s such a great singer and a great performer. So we made a list of our favourite artists that we would like to collaborate with and we picked the hottest one!
3. You also worked with Alex from All Time Low on the track ‘Freaking Me Out’, what was it like working with someone who looks up to your band?
That’s a very interesting question. Alex from All Time Low openly admits that he is a fan of Simple Plan. We got to meet him at the Bamboozle Roadshow, which was a tour in the US. We hung out a lot, had drinks after the show, he was a great hang, really cool and humble guy. His band is awesome. We just wanted to bring as many friends to the party as possible. Alex is there, we got K’naan, and we got Natasha. We tried to bring more girls but that’s all we could do.
4. Who are some of your musical influences and why?
I listen to a lot of music and it’s has varied over the years. I kinda gather new influences as I go, but I started out listening to a lot of metal. Then I got into Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Chuck got me into Bad Religion, NOFX, and all those great punk rock bands. The band that definitely has the biggest influence on me would be U2. That band is really important to me.
5. Most of you are on Twitter, what are your views on using social media to promote music these days? I see it as a way to communicate with the fans. It’s a very simple and efficient way. I used to try to blog everyday and I was not good at it. So now I got like 140 characters limited, I could just type little quick things. It’s instant and super fun. It resembles the status updates on Facebook except that it’s just faster. You can look at your replies and you get to see whatever people respond to. It’s very interactive and a lot of fun.
6. What are your most embarrassing moments? Recently we played a hometown show so we had all our friends and families around. We were about to play Jet Lag and for some reasons, I just couldn’t hear the metronome. Like when we start the song it goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and you start, but I couldn’t hear it. So I kinda stumbled the beating of the song and I had to stop. It was so embarrassing and the media wrote about it on the newspapers. I was really embarrassed especially after two weeks of rehearsing everyday.
7. Will you be coming back to Singapore for a full concert soon? Absolutely! We love Singapore and we had a lot of great shows here. We are coming back for sure to play headliners.
Simple Plan's fourth studio album Get Your Heart On! is due for release on June 21, 2011.