1. We heard that you will be releasing your debut album this mid/end Oct 2010. Tell us more about this album. Who did you work with on this album?
Yes I am releasing my self titled album "Sylvia Ratonel" for end of October. The album is a mix of dance, ballad, R&B, pop and funk. Wow, that's a mouthful. I feel really good about the album because it has something for everyone (be it, pop, ballad or dance). I also had a great time working with my producer, Don Richmond and managed to pull in local rapper, Shigga Shay to remix my song "Fly" and a duet with Sezairi Sezali.
2. What are your thoughts on the new American Idol judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler? Do you think they are able to revive the show?
I think its great that J Lo and Steven Tyler are replacing the judges of American Idol. I'm looking forward to see J Lo's divaness cos its about time they sprung up some drama for that show again. They should totally get Katy Perry to judge!
3. Now back to Singapore Idol. As you progressed in the competition, was there a strategy? Did you want to win?
Well, my strategy was to just get through each round. I never knew I even had a chance to be in the top 2 until i was in the top 5. I had a lot of fun and the best roller coaster ride of my life!
4. Looking back on the show, is there anything about it that makes you cringe?
Looking back, the one thing that made me cringe was my awkward dance for "Dance week".
5. It’s always said that money and fame changes people, do you think you’ve changed in any way ever since you've been thrusted in the spotlight?
I have to say I am still that down-to-earth girl when I first joined Singapore Idol. Aside from singing, I am still really awkward in front of the camera.
6. Do you keep in touch with any of the contestants from Singapore Idol? Who are your closest friends from the show?
I guess I am closest to Sezairi as we often do shows together and because of our age (we are a year apart), we sorta click and hung out even after Singapore Idol.
7. So you worked with Sezairi on his debut album. Did he give you any kind of advice or help you out on your upcoming album?
Yes, he did. We have that kind of supportive friendship and he even taught me his method of writing songs.
8. Now, let’s get to some of these random questions I got from your fans..What do you do to relax?
I watch Desperate Housewives or How I met Your Mother on my laptop and eat Nutella from the jar while watching it. Its my own jar so its not gross. Haha
9. What kind of movies do you watch?
I love to watch all kinds of movies but I really like romantic comedy the most.
10. What do you bump on your iPod?
I listen to a lot of Katy Perry songs- IMA HUGE FAN
11. Do you check out music blogs? (Actually, this question is from me.. Haha)
I actually don't but do you have a link of it? Cos i can get hooked to this kinda things really fast :)
12. Anything else you’d like to relay to your fans as a final thought?
I want to thank my fans for their patience on waiting for my album to be released and being the most awesome bunch for religiously coming to all my shows. Love you :) HUGS AND KISSES!
Sylvia Ratonel's self titled debut album is out at all good record stores now.